Require More Info or book?Enquire
$3,943 per person
$3,799 per person
Promo Code: DT1I6462
Discover the beauty of New Zealand’s South Island, known for its magnificent mountains, pristine lakes and world-renowned wines. From Christchurch, you’ll venture north along the remote rugged shorelines to the beautiful and pristine Marlborough Sounds and Tasman region, where you’ll be treated to world-class wine and an abundance of artisan cuisine. Travelling with Insight Vacations through the South Island will take you from city to coast to sounds and mountains, all while being privy to exclusive experiences and expert local knowledge that most travellers miss.
This trip is part of Insight Vacations' Local Escapes, a selection of local journeys that feature a max of 22 guests, staggered seating on the coach and the potential to have a double seat if travelling solo. Insight Vacations has new measures in place to allow for comfortable physical distancing all while guests explore close to home.
Your Guided Holiday Includes:
- 6 nights accommodation
- 13 meals; 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches with wine & 4 dinners with wine
- Touring via Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Physical distancing measures have been implemented on our customized luxury coaches with staggered/alternate seating for a maximum of 22 guests
- Highly skilled Travel Director
- While sightseeing guests to be allowed immediate entry on arrival with no queuing
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give.
*** Various departure dates: 09 January, 06 February & 06 March 2021.
Unique Insight Experiences:
- Join an exclusive rebuild tour of Christchurch where your guide will take you around the town and explain the devastation of earthquakes hitting the are in consecutive years, 2010 and 2011, resulting in over 900 building destroyed.
- Cruise through the incredible Queen Charlotte Sound before reaching Whekenui Bay at Arapawa Island to visit the Paua Pearl Sea Farm. Meet the owners who also live on the farm as they take you on a behind the scenes tour of the Pearl Sea Farm and teach you about how Blue Pearls are produced and turned into jewellery.
Top Rated Highlights:
COASTAL PACIFIC RAIL
- Travel via the majestic Coastal Pacific Rail, not just a method of travelling from Christchurch up to the well-known Marlborough region, but an attraction itself. During this rail journey, be sure to sit by the window to take in the Kaikoura ranges on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other.
- Join a whale watching adventure in waters abundant with marine mammal life and you might spot giant sperm whales, dusky dolphins or even orcas.
- Take a relaxing boat ride to Arapawa Island on the glorious Queen Charlotte Sound, named by Captain James Cook after the wife of British King George III.
- Visit the charming town of Hamner Springs, famous for its natural hot springs, and explore the main street filled with boutique shops, cafes and eateries.
Authentic Dining Experiences:
- Enjoy a world-class experience as you visit Hans Herzog Winery in the Marborough Region. Not only will you be treated to some of the most structured and tasty organic wines, but you’ll also enjoy a three-course dinner (with wines to match), prepared by a team of Michelin star trained chefs while looking out from the elegant verandah out to the sunset.
WAIPARA WINE REGION
- Come together with your fellow travellers and indulge in a Celebration Lunch in the Waipara Wine Region, toasting your adventures taken and memories made.
Day 1. Welcome to Christchurch
Your Insight Vacations host meets you at Christchurch Airport and transfers you to your hotel. Meet your Travel Director at 11:00 and set off on your spectacular journey. Start with a sightseeing tour of the Garden City with your Local Expert and see how far Christchurch has come in rebuilding since the tragic earthquakes of 2010 and 2011. See the Christ Church and Cardboard Cathedrals, as well as the moving 185 Chairs Memorial. Make Travel Matter as you lend a helping hand in planting a native tree and contributing to the reforestation efforts of the Port Hills after the 2017 wildfires. Tonight, indulge in a delicious Welcome Dinner at a trendy local restaurant.(Dinner with Wine)
Day 2. Train along the coast
This morning, board the Coastal Pacific Express train to Kaikoura, a champion in sustainable tourism. Admire the views through panoramic windows as you travel past farmlands, at the foot of mountains and along remote rugged shorelines. In Kaikoura, join a whale watching adventure in waters abundant with marine mammal life and you might spot giant sperm whales, dusky dolphins or even orcas. These fantastic creatures are lured to the local waters thanks to the unique submarine landscape and abundance of food. Marvel at magnificent scenery along the East Coast. With the ocean on one side and soaring mountains on the other this is a journey to remember. Pass the Lake Grassmere Saltworks displaying various shades of pink ponds and sparkling white salt crystal mounds. Arrive tonight to sunny Blenheim in the heart of the Marlborough Wine Region.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 3. Malborough culinary delights
The Marlborough Wine Region is internationally acclaimed for its Sauvignon Blanc even though wine production started relatively late in the 1970s and the breakthrough only coming in the 1980s. Savour the world-class quality on a wine tour, sampling some of the best produce of the area. Tonight, indulge in a dining experience at the Hans Herzog Estate as you make your way through three courses paired with handcrafted, organic wines.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 4. Mountains and sounds
Make your way to Picton, the gateway to the Marlborough Sounds as well as the North Island across the Cook Strait. Take a relaxing boat ride on the glorious Queen Charlotte Sound, named by Captain James Cook after the wife of British King George III. Upon your arrival to the Arapawa Island, meet the Radon family who will introduce you to the paua pearl farming process, the molluscs themselves and their place in the New Zealand heritage. Your tour is followed by a morning tea before sailing back to mainland to continue with your scenic journey to Nelson, the oldest city in the South Island. Tonight, dine at the Oceano Restaurant.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 5. Tasman Treasures
Wake up in an extraordinary part of New Zealand with awe-inspiring nature and a quirky artist scene. Explore Nelson Tasman with Insight Choice. Spend the day outdoors in the paradise of Abel Tasman National Park by going on a hike along secluded golden beaches and forested paths. Alternatively, take a day tour discovering the wines and art of the region as you sip on Pinot Noir and meet the talented folk flocking to the area. Tonight, take it easy in Nelson and enjoy an evening at leisure.(Breakfast)
Day 6. From coast to the mountains
Today, head to the mountains towards the centre of the South Island. Follow the Maruia River valley, then travel through the Lewis Pass, the northernmost of the three main crossings in the Southern Alps. Arrive to Hamner Springs, a destination for adventure, relaxation and indulgence. Surrounded by dramatic mountains and towering forests, the main street of this charming town is filled with boutique shops, cafes and eateries. Famous for its natural hot springs, you may wish to go and have a soak or even get a treatment. Tonight, is yours to relax and enjoy this beautiful alpine village.(Breakfast)
Day 7. Farewell Christchurch
After your Relaxed Start, visit the Waipara Wine Region and toast your travels at a winery Celebration Lunch. Return to Christchurch this afternoon where your trip concludes. Take a complimentary transfer to the airport for your onward journey.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Prices listed are per person in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. The offer is subject to availability at time of booking. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices/Offers are correct as at 18 December 2020 and can be withdrawn without notice. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.