Require More Info or book?Enquire
$4,550 per person
$4,399 per person
Promo Code: DT18HH50
Your picturesque North Island journey is specially designed to connect you exclusively with locals, as you sample regional produce and visit three world-renowned wineries. Travel local and feel like a VIP with food and wine experiences in Martinborough that are designed just for Insight guests, including visits to Olivo, Palliser Estate & a cooking school at Union Square.
This trip is part of Insight Vacations' Local Escapes, a selection of local journeys that feature a max of 22 guests, staggered seating on the coach and the potential to have a double seat if travelling solo. Insight Vacations has new measures in place to allow for comfortable physical distancing all while guests explore close to home.
Your Guided Holiday Includes:
- 7 nights accommodation
- 13 meals; 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches with wine & 4 dinners with wine
- Touring via Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Physical distancing measures have been implemented on our customized luxury coaches with staggered/alternate seating for a maximum of 22 guests
- Highly skilled Travel Director
- While sightseeing guests to be allowed immediate entry on arrival with no queuing
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give
**Advertised price valid for departures on 20 Feb 21 OR 20 Mar 21
Unique Insight Experiences:
WAIMANGU VOLCANIC VALLEY
- Take a private, guided tour of Waimangu Volcanic Valley, where you will connect with the beating heart of the world’s youngest geothermal valley, it’s unique history and legacy. The general public are only offered a self-guided tour, so be sure to use this opportunity to ask your Local Expert all the questions you please. Along the guided walk sight the geothermal activity, hot springs, volcanic craters, nature and wildlife, before taking a relaxing 45-minute cruise around the tranquil waters of Lake Rotomahana see stunning geothermal activity only accessible by boat.
QUEEN CHARLOTTE SOUND
- Cruise through the incredible Queen Charlotte Sound before reaching Whekenui Bay at Arapawa Island to visit the Paua Pearl Sea Farm. Meet the owners who also live on the farm as they take you on a behind the scenes tour of the Pearl Sea Farm and teach you about how Blue Pearls are produced and turned into jewellery.
Top Rated Highlights:
- Allow your Local Expert to take you on a walking tour of beautiful Wellington, with all the stops tailored to our Insight Vacations group.
- During your visit to Redwoods TreeWalk, enjoy the unique perspective from 12 metres above the ground.
- Visit Greytown, one of New Zealand’s prettiest small towns, and stroll among independent boutiques and cafes, cute colonial cottages and art galleries.
Authentic Dining Experiences:
- Sample a selection of delicious cheeses presented by the passionate people behind the C’est Cheese artisan deli, housed in the historic 19th-century Anderson Building.
- Be welcomed into the home of some of Martinborough’s oldest Olive trees by owners Helen and John. Allow them to teach you about different olive varieties and how to taste olive oil like a professional. Plus have the opportunity to purchase some of their premium extra virgin olive oil range and get some tips from the growers on how maximise the flavour in your recipes.
- Come together with your fellow travellers and indulge in a Celebration Dinner at Eight Restaurant, toasting to your adventures taken and memories made.
- During your time in Martinborough, visit Palliser Estate, an 85-hectare property with vineyards first planted in 1984. Gain insight into the Estate’s philosophy to produce quality and distinctive award-winning wines before a unique opportunity to taste some of their wines right from the barrel- it doesn’t get better than that!
- Take a moment to pause and take in the surroundings at Craggy Range, of the spectacular Te Mata Peak and Hawke’s Bay. You’re in the home of some of New Zealand’s finest locally grown produce, and here, you’ll be treated to a dinner using seasonal ingredients grown right there in the garden.
- Participate in a hands on in a private, group cooking lesson at Union Square Bistro with the chef as you prepare lunch then dine with the restaurant team.
Day 1. Welcome to Wellington
Your Private Driver meets you at Wellington Airport and transfers you to your hotel. Spend some time to relax or perhaps go for a stroll and see the nearby iconic Beehive Parliament Building. Meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers at 11:00 to kick off your culinary adventure across the North Island. Get to know New Zealand’s cool capital with a Local Expert as you discover the waterfront, the bohemian Cuba St precinct and hear about the buzzing food and drinks scene. Once dimly lit back alleys, these newly rejuvenated laneways are now home to some of the country’s funkiest bars, boutiques and breweries. Experience a private tasting of a premium batch of peanut butte made by an artisan supplier and sample Wellington’s very own chocolate. Tonight, get to know your fellow travellers at your Welcome Dinner.(Dinner with Wine)
Day 2. Cheese and wine of Wairarapa
Leave the city after a relaxed start to the day and travel to nearby Featherston at the foothills of the Remutaka Range. Sample a selection of delicious cheeses presented by the passionate people behind the C’est Cheese artisan deli, housed in the historic 19th-century Anderson Building. Then, visit nearby Greytown, one of New Zealand’s prettiest small towns. Stroll among independent boutiques and cafes, cute colonial cottages and art galleries. In Martinborough, learn about the boutique Wairarapa Wine Country at your visit to the Palliser Estate. Hear about the uniqueness of the area, the types of wines produced and enjoy a tasting straight from the barrels. Tonight, enjoy dinner at your hotel’s own Union Square Bistro & Bar, a modern restaurant with French influence.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 3. Martinborough delights
This morning meet Helen and John, the couple behind Olivo, the oldest commercial olive grove of the area with the mission to produce oils that are boutique, artisan and gorgeous. Follow the olives’ journey from tree to table as you learn about production, tasting as professionals and recipes. Return to the Union Square Bistro and get hands on in a private, group cooking lesson with the chef as you prepare lunch then dine with the restaurant team. Take the rest of the day to relax or perhaps visit the Wine Bank housing, Martinborough’s most comprehensive range of locally produced wine.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Day 4. On the classic wine trail to Hawke's Bay
Today’s journey takes you through the lush farmlands of the Tararua district. Once known as the Seventy Mile Bush. The area was cleared for farming by Scandinavians in the 19th Century and the mark of these early settlers is visible in local townships. Arrive to Havelock North in Hawke’s Bay, the country’s oldest wine growing region. This evening set out for your dining and wine pairing experience to Craggy Range at the foot of the towering Te Mata Peak. The winery is run by the passionate Peabody family who bought the empty plot nearly 30 years ago, starting from scratch to focus on quality right from the beginning.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 5. Hawke's Bay exploration
During the 1931 earthquake, Napier was severely affected as its commercial centre was completely destroyed. It was swiftly rebuilt in primarily Art Deco style, the fashionable choice at the time and became known for its high concentration of 1930’s buildings worldwide. Explore Hawke’s Bay with Insight Choice. Feel like stepping back in time by taking a tour in a vintage car and visiting the majestic Municipal Theatre. Alternatively, get on two wheels and take a relaxing bike ride from the city centre on the Ahuriri Estuary Trail to the Taradale Wineries. Later, come together and indulge in an included lunch at a local award-winning winery. Return to Havelock North and enjoy the rest of your day at leisure.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Day 6. On the way to Rotorua
After your Relaxed Start, join the Thermal Explorer Highway and cross the Ruahine Range as you approach New Zealand’s largest freshwater lake at Taupo. Pass the ‘Sleeping Lady’ Mt Tauhara and admire the roaring Huka Falls on the Waikato, the country’s longest river. Visit the Waimangu Volcanic Valley and join a guided tour to connect with the beating heart of the world’s youngest geothermal valley, followed by a relaxing cruise around the tranquil waters of Lake Rotomahana. Later, arrive to Rotorua.(Breakfast)
Day 7. Redwoods and celebrations
This morning, marvel at the 118-year-old giant redwood trees sitting in Whakarewarewa Forest, one of the oldest exotic forests in New Zealand. Ascending to the breath-taking Redwoods Treewalk, enjoy a unique birds’ eye perspective of the forest below and treetops above. Tonight, toast to your new memories with your fellow travellers at your Celebration Dinner at the interactive Eight Restaurant, offering eight international cuisines.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 8. Farewell Auckland
After breakfast, your North Island adventure comes to an end. Take your complimentary transfer to Auckland airport for your onward journey.(Breakfast)
Prices listed are per person in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. The offer is subject to availability at time of booking and shown on the lowest inside category available at the time. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices/Offers are correct as at 18 December 2020 and can be withdrawn without notice. Hotels may charge resort fees not included in this package, payable direct upon check in. Visas are not included. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.